Space Mission Analysis Branch
As a premiere space concepts and systems analysis organization, SMAB enables well-informed decision-making throughout NASA with integrated analysis and assessments of complex space systems, architectures, and portfolios based on benefit, cost, and risk. Through support of a broad set of agency customers, SMAB provides holistic insights within and across organizations that advance NASA’s human exploration and robotic scientific missions.
Branch Core Capabilities
Space Concepts, Analysis, & Assessments
- We evaluate integrated sequences of missions over extended periods of time against technical and programmatic objectives.
- We generate comprehensive risk assessments on space system supportability and affordability.
- We develop integrated architectures that blend system and mission concepts to achieve long-term exploration, science, and technology development goals.
- We design and assess end-to-end space missions using in-house and commercial off-the-shelf tools.
- We provide high fidelity mission simulation and visualization for space missions to enable detailed technical analysis and public engagement.
- We support in-depth, multi-discipline design and analysis of concepts and vehicles from pre-formulation through operations.
- We apply decision analysis methods to inform NASA decision makers for activities such as portfolio characterization and prioritization, trade space exploration and down-selection of design options, and cost-benefit analysis.
- We develop independent decision models to enable traceable data-driven decisions.
- We facilitate the advancement of organizational strategy through the development and execution of strategic frameworks.
- We provide independent technical and programmatic assessments of space technology and system concepts.
Technology Assessment and Gap Analysis
- We model and assess the impacts of technologies on space systems, missions, and architectures.
- We characterize technology and capability needs on a system and architectural level to inform portfolio formulation and prioritization.
SMAB’s projects include pre-formulation concepts, integrated systems analysis, and support for past and present missions. Learn more about the people behind the work in our SMAB Stories.