Space Mission Analysis Branch
SMAB focuses its expertise on existing and future space systems that support Human and Robotic Space Missions to inform NASA decision makers.
SMAB serves as the premiere space concepts and system analysis organization informing NASA and inspiring the world of the art of the possible in achieving NASA’s mission.
Enabling customers to make thoroughly-informed decisions by conducting
- Pre-Phase A and Phase A studies formulating conceptual designs for robotic and human-occupied space systems
- Analysis and Integration of long-term science and human exploration campaigns
- Independent assessments and integration of proposed, existing and future aerospace systems
Mission/Flight Concept Design
Technology Assessment and Gap Analysis
Portfolio Integration and Assessment
SMAB conducts two kinds of studies
- Identify various feasible concepts for new space projects.
- Identify missions consistent with charter and users involved.
- Perform preliminary evaluations of possible missions.
- Prepare program/project proposals, which include:Mission justification and objectives, Possible operations concepts and system architectures, and cost, schedule, and risk estimates.
- Develop master plans for existing program areas.
- Refine conceptual designs for future space projects.
- Prepare Mission Needs Statement and develop top-level requirements and corresponding evaluation criteria/metrics.
- Identify alternative operations and logistic concepts along with project constraints and system boundaries.
- Consider alternative design concepts, including: feasibility and risk studies, cost and schedule estimates and advanced technology requirements.
- Demonstrate that credible, feasible design(s) exist and acquire systems engineering tools and models.
- Initiate environmental impact studies and prepare Project Definition for Phase B.
How we do it
Mission, Concept, and Trade Analysis
- We analyze space architectures and provide multi-system/concept integration and architecture design.
- We use a variety of metrics to assess overall feasibility and mission designs.
- We apply orbital mechanics to design and evaluate trajectories for spacecraft.
Life Cycle Analysis and Uncertainty Quantification
- We assist with strategic planning to inform NASA decision makers.
- We support experimental and operational flight vehicle projects through in-depth, multi discipline design and analysis.
- We assist tactical decision-making via requirement sensitivity evaluations.
Technology Assessment and Portfolio Analysis
- We evaluate or estimate the impacts of NASA technology on systems and missions.