Title: Chief Engineer
Technical Focus Area: Aerospace Systems Analysis, Advanced Concept Development
Study Topics/Expertise: Air Vehicle Sizing and Performance Analysis, Aerodynamics
Mr. Guynn has spent over 30 years working in the areas of systems analysis and concept development. Prior to becoming Chief Engineer for SACD, Mr. Guynn served as their Chief Technologist and as Assistant Branch Head of the Aeronautics Systems Analysis Branch (ASAB). Previously he was the co-lead for Systems Analysis and Integration in the Advanced Air Transport Technology Project of NASA’s Aeronautics Research Mission Directorate. Mark started his career at NASA Langley as a co-op student and through the course of his career he has contributed to a diverse range of activities spanning High Altitude Long Endurance (HALE) scientific aircraft, fighter/attack aircraft, subsonic transports, supersonic transports, and planetary exploration aircraft.
- NASA Group Achievement Award: Aeronautics Pillar Goals Assessment
- NASA Group Achievement Award: ARES Mission Concept Development Team
- NASA Exceptional Service Medal
- NASA ARMD Associate Administrator Award: Technology and Innovation Group Award: ERA Project
- NASA Blue Marble Award: ERA Project
B.S. in Aerospace Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1992
M.S. in Aeronautical Engineering, George Washington University, 1996
- Marien, T., Blaesser, N.J., Frederick, Z. J., Guynn, M.D., et al., “Results for an Electrified Aircraft Propulsion Design Exploration,” AIAA 2021-3280, August 2021.
- Antcliff, K. R.; Guynn, M. D.; Marien, T. V.; Wells, D. P.: “Mission Analysis and Aircraft Sizing of a Hybrid-Electric Regional Aircraft,” AIAA 2016-1028, January 2016.
- Guynn, M. D.: “Effective L/D: A Theoretical Approach to the Measurement of Aero-Structural Efficiency in Aircraft Design,” AIAA 2015-3375, June 2015.
- Guynn, M. D.; Berton, J. J.; Tong, M. J.; Haller, W. J.: “Advanced Single-Aisle Transport Propulsion Design Options Revisited,” AIAA 2013-4330, August 2013.
- Guynn, M. D.; Berton, J. J.; Haller, W. J.; Hendricks, E. S.; Tong, M. T.: “Performance and Environmental Assessment of an Advanced Aircraft with Open Rotor Propulsion,” NASA/TM-2012-217772, October 2012.
- Berton, J. J.; Guynn, M. D.: “Multi-Objective Optimization of a Turbofan for an Advanced, Single-Aisle Transport,” Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 48, No. 5; September-October 2011.
- Guynn, M. D.: “First Order Altitude Effects on the Cruise Efficiency of Subsonic Transport Aircraft,” NASA/TM-2011-217173, August 2011.
- Guynn, M. D.; Berton, J. J.; Fisher, K. L.; Haller, W. J.; Tong, M. T.; Thurman, D. R.: “Refined Exploration of Turbofan Design Options for an Advanced Single-Aisle Transport,” NASA/TM-2011-216883.
- Guynn, M. D.; Berton, J. J.; Fisher, K. L.; Haller, W. J.; Tong, M. T.; Thurman, D. R.: “Engine Concept Study for an Advanced Single-Aisle Transport,” NASA/TM-2009-215784, August 2009.
- Nickol, C. L.; Guynn, M. D.; Kohout, L. L; and Ozoroski, T. A.: “High Altitude Long Endurance UAV Analysis of Alternatives and Technology Requirements Development,” NASA/TP-2007-214861, March 2007.
- Guynn, M.D.; Freeh, J.E.; and Olson, E.D.: “Evaluation of a Hydrogen Fuel Cell Powered Blended-Wing-Body Aircraft Concept for Reduced Noise and Emissions,” NASA/TM-2004-212989, 2004.
- Guynn, M.; et al.: “Evolution of a Mars Airplane Concept for the ARES Mars Scout Mission,”
- AIAA-2003-6578, 2003.
- Guynn, M.D.; and Olson, E.D.: “Evaluation of an Aircraft Concept With Over-Wing, Hydrogen-Fueled Engines for Reduced Noise and Emissions,” NASA/TM-2002-211926, 2002.