NESC Independent Assessments
VAB personnel have provided an independent assessment capability to the NESC for several Agency system evaluation activities. While VAB continues to provide assessemnts, some examples of previous assessments are:
Max Launch Abort System (MLAS) Flight Test Vehicle 2
This is a past project in NESC Independent Assessments.
- Basic guidance/control scheme developed in POST2
- Operational strategy for TVC of multiple (6) abort motors & on/off jet control of multiple (8) attitude control motors designed & implemented in POST2 6-DOF simulation
- POST2 used for design & feasibility of operational concept & initial FTV design
- 3-DOF optimization of ascent abort
Trajectory Design and Optimization for Ares I-X
- Developed steering tables that were an input to Ares I-X GN&C
- Provided a flight environment with aerodynamic, thermal, and acoustic loads similar to Ares I.
- Ares I-X flight data suitable for verification of Ares I design without scaling/correction factors.